First Aid Advice For Epileptic Seizures

Epileptic Seizures

Table of Contents

It is vital to not overlook the side effects of an epileptic episode as it can lead to fatalities. But with the help of medication, the symptoms of epilepsy can be managed for up to 70% of Australians. However, that leaves 30% of people living with epilepsy in Australia that remains in danger of severe or acute seizures.

What can be done to reduce the dangers of epileptic seizures?

Related Risks from Epileptic Seizures

There are risks related to epileptic seizures, particularly when not mediated by prescribed medication. Those types of seizures are ineffectively managed and can lead to severe injury.  

Such as a tonic-clonic seizure is when the body stiffens before movement becomes jerky. If it occurs in a place when climbing or swimming, it could lead to fatal outcomes. This type of seizure is already critical but can become compounded by an outdoor activity that already has its own risk.    

Regardless of when an epileptic seizure occurs, medical intervention is vital in managing the risk and helping the one affected.

First Aid During a Seizure

Here are 10 pointers in First Aid that will instruct in what to do if you happen to be present when someone experiences a tonic-colnic seizure: 

  • Remain calm and don’t leave the person unattended
  • If the person has food or fluid in their mouth, roll them onto their side with the outward knee bet and arms laid flat out in front of their face. This is to help them avoid choking. This is called the recovery position.
  • Keep hard or sharp objects out of reach to protect the person from accidentally causing injuring themselves.
  • Cushion the person’s head with something soft like clothing, bags or anything else available in the area.
  • If their clothing is too tight, loosen it, such as belts, jackets or bags
  • Offer reassurance and comfort to the person so that they know they know that their safety and being cared for
  • Try to time the seizures using a watch or a phone
  • When muscle jerking stops, roll the person on their side with the recovery position.
  • Do not for any reason put or place anything inside their mouth
  • Do not restrain the person for any reason

Time to Call an Ambulance

If you are unsure how dangerous the epileptic seizure is or how it may have affected the person, call Emergency Services on 000 immediately. 

Call an ambulance when the person experiences an epileptic seizure:

  • Has never had a seizure before
  • The duration of the person’s seizure exceeds what is normal for them by up to 5 minutes or more.
  • They experience a second seizure shortly after the fist
  • They become unresponsive after 5 minutes after their seizure has ended
  • They develop a difficulty breathing after their muscles have stopped jerking and spasming
  • They are in a dangerous area or space like water
  • They have become injured at any point during the seizure

Recent Post

First Aid For Burns

Burn injuries can occur unexpectedly, leaving victims in pain and distress. Whether it’s a minor

Learn first aid today and be ready to respond to any emergencies.